Biological Rhythm Study in Fruit Flies

Do Fruitflies sleep, if so when? When are they active? Can the Fruitflies in our surroundings be used to understand problems of sleep in humans?

[center]image[/center]

If we start trapping fruit flies from our home or near the canteen, can we find out the resting and active/waking periods of the flies from the number of flies we trap from a place at different times of the day?
Can we trap the fruitflies at midnight? Or, would they be sleeping at that time, compared to Mid- day?

[center]Video of Fruit flies:[/center]

Trapping of fruit flies from our home/ school/college

As we know fruit flies come towards food,
Can we design an experiment to trap fruit flies?
What can be ways to trap fruit flies?

Write your propositions and plans to trap fruit flies by clicking “Reply” icon below.

The activity of Fruit Flies:

We need to note down the timing of the day when fruit flies are most active, what can be design of an experiment to know, when fruit flies are most active?

The Life cycle of fruit flies:

How can we study the life cycle of fruit fly? What are the different life stages of fruit fly?
Suggest some ways to study it.

2 Likes

I was tracking the genetic pathway of circadian rhythm of phyllantus while I was in the class I came up with this paper which talks about genetics of circadian rhythm as it is been talked of in the case of drosophila

It is an overview of what I understood from reading the paper and what could I conclude
So there is gene which code for different proteins like PER, TIM, CWO, VRI and PDP1, but the transcription of this gene requires a transcription factor (CLK) and a promoter sequence EBOX(particular sequence)

So lets talk of day time what it happens in day the morning light cause degradation of TIM as a result the TIM and PER complex is unstable which cannot inhibit the transcription of the gene coding for these, in response to that PDP1 which is a protein sends positive feedback to promoter sequence coding for CLK… Now where comes the feedback loop at night when the morning light is not there to degrade TIM, TIM and PER form complex to inactivate transcription of that gene, which in turn is supported by the increase concentration of CWO and VRI protein which sends a negative feedback and suppress the transcription of genes

if we find a similar type of gene like TIM in phyllantus and expose the phyllantus with same property of that of the morning light I think there will be a major shift in thecircadian rhythm of phyllantus

what is your take on it?
@Anushka ⁩ @⁨anulekha @magpie @jaikishan@Arunan@arun@GN @Shalinilal @Abhishek_Cube

Reference

2 Likes