Establishing moina culture in smt.C.H.M.College 2

The container I’ve shown is just to reference about difference in colour of the moina speaking about the bottle at present there are pale red colour can be observed and number of live moina is quite less and I observed population loss on 17th augast which sedimented at bottom with unknown reason
Here the video of bottle

It might be due to over crowding but if it is still question arises why and yet I’m unable to find answers for it
And if it is over crowding then I expect that bottle in video should give same result in 2-3 days

2 Likes

Also I’ll mention the date of the video recording from next time :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Yes👍🏻 And also the description of the bottles… it will help to understand easily😄

2 Likes

I’ve marked two identifying characters. The rest seem to be difficult to note in the moina.

3 Likes

@Akshitha

I’ve clicked this photograph on 17thaugast during cube workshop so I can observe egg like structure on the back of moina would you like to make any statement about it

2 Likes

This photograph is very clear :smile:
We can clearly see that the epiphipium has two eggs so I also think it is likely to be macrocopa.

1 Like

Not clear what are you saying @Akshitha

Do you mean only moina has ephiphium? or a female moina has ephiphium? how is it different from brood pouch?

Why not get reference pictures of different salient characters of Moina macrocopa which you listed.

Ephippium are not only seen in Moina but also in various species of the small crustacean in the order of Cladocera.
Only female members of Moina show ephippium. It is different from a brooding pouch as this brooding pouch is seen in the growth season.
Towards the end of the growing season, the females produce tough “resting eggs” or “winter eggs” and the resting eggs are protected by a hardened coat called the ephippium.
In Moina macrocopa, the identifying feature was said to be two eggs, each with a hardened ephippium. As the two ephippium with the eggs were visible in the picture, I said so.

2 Likes

I could not find clear reference pictures with markings of the idenyifying features. If I find any, I’ll be sure to post here immediately.

Who are your collaborators in your CUBE CHM center on Moina Model System and who are from other centers?

Please give regular updates!
We did not see you at HBCSE TIFR during the 16-18 August 2019 CUBE STEM Game National Meet!:worried:

Don’t you think light on the opposite side of the bottle to the side of the camera with which you photograph would make things clearer?! @Siddhesh

Please give link of the reference you sited for Epihippium @Akshitha
I have one here:

Ephippia (singular: ephippium ) are winter or dry-season eggs of the various species of small crustacean in the order Cladocera (within the Branchiopoda) are provided with an extra shell layer.

[

Ephippia - Wikipedia

](Ephippia - Wikipedia)

In this they say Ephippium is ‘dry season eggs’!

“…Towards the end of the growing season, however, the mode of reproduction changes, and the females produce tough “resting eggs” or “winter eggs”. The resting eggs are protected by a hardened coat called the ephippium , and are cast off at the female’s next moult. The ephippia can withstand periods of extreme cold, drought or lack of food availability, and hatch – when conditions improve – into females…”

Not clear @Akshitha what is dry season eggs? How are they different from normal eggs?

How do you identify ephiphia?

Currently I’m working culturing and maintenances
Mi and @AMRUTA we both are working at kitchen lab at our home at Ulhas nagar Dropped pin
Near Krishna Nagar, Ulhasnagar, Maharashtra 421004

Amruta is working from Kalyan she will share her coordinates
We attended The seminar but little late at that time moina group were presenting

Please give updates on the Moina culture of CUBE CHM or of Kitchen Lab Ulhasnagar & Kalyan?
Why can’t we start culturing at CHM college too? What happened to those from CHM college who got inducted a week ago at HBCSE?

2019-08-24T18:30:00Z
This week ihve not focused on number of moina but the health of water so according to me when we give milk to the moina very less amount is being used by them and as we give milk drops regularly it increases turbidity so why I think turbidity as issue because as per my previous observation
1)when we keep moina in water it tends to be at bottom (video attached below)
2)as water gets turbid moina comes at surface(video attached below)
And still we didn’t provide them proper environment population dies as I’ve reported earlier without reason
Reason : as oxygen level in water body depletes although they develop red colour due to expression of gene for haemoglobin production it doesn’t meet their demand for survival and they travel upwards at surface , as surface is exposed to atmospheric air oxygen diffusion takes place and moina takes the oxygen .
1)this video tells about how moina resist to go and settle at bottom
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Z72z9U3EfRuigGVv6
Video - 2019-08-15T18:30:00Z Ulhas nagar
2) same video as mentioned in video 1
https://photos.app.goo.gl/an4qqBG4q6veTWrL7

Now with this observations today I transferred moina from 1 jar to anathor
Center left hand side is jar prepared on last Sunday with 500ml water and 2 drop milk per day movement of red moina at surface of water can be observed jar on center right hand side is empty jar
https://photos.app.goo.gl/SvrzvmFrihNmABwz9

So I have transferred moina from left jar to right with help of dropper and added approx 500 ml dechlorinated water to it
https://photos.app.goo.gl/B9cR1gqJuH53AdaL6
And abserved that now the same moina which was moving upward now preferring to be settled at bottom of jar

1. status transferred moina in new jar https://photos.app.goo.gl/3udFYLMiYFikBCrL9

2. status of un transferred moinas in last Sunday’s jar
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/uYwsgXFXjNSNRwWB9

So next objective for this week
Can we alter the feed milk with yeast and comparitive study to understand what will give maximum yield with least maintainance

3 Likes

I didn’t understood your recent objective for the week​:roll_eyes: Why will you use yeast as an alternative method?:thinking:@Siddhesh

1 Like

Only on the basis of epiphipium which has two eggs , how are you stating it as Moina macrocopa? Does macrocopa differs with other species only on the basis of epiphipium? @Akshitha what are the characteristics of Moina macrocopa?