How fast do new leaves reappear?

I just thought of a project idea. The idea is to take a picture of a tree that dropped all the leaves, every 48 hours from the same place. This is to ensure that the tree is pictured in the same frame again and again. The location of the tree to be marked while posting the observations.

My inspiration:

4 Likes

But we should know the time when all the leaves is going to fall, like which part of season and all for that?

1 Like

So, keep on watching!

Time lapse photographs will surely help us to know the phenomena ! Thank you.

1 Like

This is an excellent suggestion. This makes this project really interdisciplinary. Hope @jtd @Ashish_Pardeshi @surendra, @ravi312 our tinkering mentors on board are listening. We must have a DIY project on how to make time-lapse photographs easy and inexpensive so that everyone from anywhere can generate very useful data for recording seasonal changes.

So, now we have a season watching, math component, bio component, tinkering component, making this an interdisciplinary project.

Will try it and get back nice idea @Susanta_Tanti

Simplest time lapse - Reminder on phone, go and photograph.
Next easy method - use Raspberry Pi with usb camera or Pi camera and motion software configured to timelapse mode
https://htmlpreview.github.io/?https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Motion-Project/motion/master/motion_config.html#timelapse_mode
Cheap but not so easy - Buy a dash cam for Rs.1500-3500. Figure out how to trigger a recording. Some of them have a car reverse recording facility. When the car is reversed it starts rear camera recording. That could be repurposed to do a recording every hour with an arduino.
Some have an accelerometer motion detection recording. That too could be repurposed to do a recording every hour with an arduino.

I shall try the raspberry pi method . Help me to start. Can a usb web cam used for the purpose? Quality ??@jtd

What is raspberry pi method please explain @Susanta_Tanti

And which are plants that are expected to shed their leaves at this time? @Susanta_Tanti

Yes this device can be made easily.

@Susanta_Tanti if you have a good quality web cam, it can be used with raspberry pi.

@bivasnag Raspberry pi is a single board compact size computer. It has GPIO pins (General Purpose Input Output) for connecting and integrating various sensors. Also it has WiFi, Bluetooth, USB, LAN ports.

2 Likes

Yes you can use a webcam.
Quality depends on resolution of the cam. 12MP webcams are common.
Which webcam do you have ( model no., make and brand name).

1 Like

https://www.osapublishing.org/oe/abstract.cfm?uri=oe-27-14-19075
@jaikishan

1 Like

Please help us using simple terminologies so that we can do it ourselves with your directions.
Please take as real beginners…

Definetly.
Cell phone and similar consumer grade cameras are used for visible spectrum radiation measurement in many frugal science projects. However the image data varies wildly from camera to camera. Consequently one has to restrict measurements to a select few models of cameras /cell phone cameras. That too only after they are calibrated. Further each phone / camera manufacturer inserts their proprietary software algorithms which makes things even more complex.
Consequently only cameras and phones that provide raw data can be used for such calibration. Such cameras that do provide raw data, also use various hardware tricks to improve perceived image quality. Mosaicing is one such method is the use of optical filters. When coupled with proprietary software it makes calibratio particularly hard.
Then there is device obsolescence. By the time one finishes a instrument project with a camera, that camera ceases to be available in the market. It is a never ending tread mill.

One will have to make a permanent setup of the type described in the paper.

1 Like

Once you have your raspberry pi running with a camera module. Just use raspistill application using the below command

raspistill -t 60000 -tl 1000 -o image%04d.jpg

where
-t 60000 represent 60 seconds (60000ms) i.e. total time period to capture.

-tl 1000 one second (1000ms) i.e. capture delay between two shots.

%04d indicates 4 digit number, with leading zeros added to make up required number of digits.
example : image0000.jpg

For further reference please refer to

1 Like

Most trees that will lose their leaves will lose them at some point between autumn and spring, many of them often flowering just before new foliage starts. Given that Mumbai doesn’t have much of a winter, this would probably be later rather than sooner in the year.

Offering this link as an itneresting resource http://www.arvindguptatoys.com/arvindgupta/pippatrees.pdf