Moina : a model system

Objective : To culture moinas as of now and later study them (for future reference)

So today I, @Sjuday2527 @Spandan_b and Namrata from Elphinstone College prepared two 5L Moina Tank Cultures and two Moina Bottle Cultures.

Preparation of Tank Cultures:
Washed the tanks thoroughly with tap water and then DC water and then took 5L of DC water in the
tanks and added ~ 20 moinas in both the tanks feeding them with 5 drops of milk.

Expectations for tomorrow: ~ 30 moinas

Preparation of Bottle Cultures:
Two 1L bottles were washed thoroughly with tap water first and then DC water.
In one bottle, 250ml of DC water + 5 - 10 colourless moinas + 4 drops of milk. 4 drops of milk because we want to study the time period taken by the moinas to get red in colour in 4drops as we know that they take ~ a week to get red in 6 drops of milk.

Expectations for tomorrow: ~15 colourless moinas.

And in the other bottle, 750ml DC water + 3 drops of milk (1 drop of milk in 250ml DC water so 3 in 750ml) + ~ 10 colourless moinas.

Expectations for tomorrow: ~ 15 moinas.

3 Likes

CUBE HBCSE
MOINA GROUP

@Sjuday2527
@drishtantmkawale

Objective : cup cultured moina dated 03/09/19

We cleaned the 250 ml plastic cup with DC water then we cultured moina with 1 drop milk .

Observation :previously there were 5 moinas now its around 20 moinas present.

3 Likes

CUBE HBCSE,MUMBAI
MOINA GROUP
Dated:06/09/19

@Sjuday2527
@drishtantmkawale
@Jyotiraditya

Plan of work : 1. Firstly we are gona feed all the moina culture in the LAB with certain quantity of milk [1 drop,2drop,4 drop etc]
2. Check the tank cultures that we have prepared yesterday [5/9/19] and feed the moinas with milk.
3.Prepare red moina bottle culture [1 bottle ].
4.If time permits we are planing to culture moina in Algae [algal medium].

3 Likes

CUBE HBCSE,MUMBAI
MOINA GROUP
Dated:06/09/19

@Sjuday2527
@drishtantmkawale
@Jyotiraditya

objective:
1.we cleared the red moina bottle culture by transfering it to new 250 ml dc water and suitable drop of milk.
2.we marked all our moina cultures [c1,c2.c3 etc] and then counted the no.of moinas present in them and noted the observation in log book.
3.And further studied epigenetics in moina
4.and we prepared 1 bucket full DC water for our future use.

& maybe @Jyotiraditya have founded a male moina so we are gona identify it tomorrow[7/9/19]

4 Likes

CUBE HBCSE,MUMBAI
MOINA GROUP
Dated:07/09/19

@Sjuday2527
@drishtantmkawale
@Jyotiraditya

plan of work :
1.feeding,culturing moina in distilled water.
2.check nature of HDAC inhabitor.
3.check the growth of moinas in all the 3 tank cultures and all the bottles and feed them milk.
4.identify the yesterdays [6/9/19]moina ,whether it is a male moina or not.

2 Likes

What is HDAAC? please explain

1 Like

How will you observe the nature of HDAAC inhibitor

1 Like

Histone deacetylases are a class of enzymes that remove acetyl groups from an ε-N-acetyl lysine amino acid on a histone.

3 Likes

Why there is a need to remove acetyl group from histone?
Can you give an example of an HDAC inhibitor?

1 Like

When it will remove than only the red moinas would get change into colourless moinas.

1 Like

@Spandan_b do you have red moina? How many of them? When did you get red moina, after how much time?

How are you sure they are red moina? Do you have a control? Please send pictures of red moina.

Why are you planning to use HDAC inhibitor? what is the objective?

Please clarify your long term objective and how use of HDAC inhibitor is connected to it?

1 Like

Moina Group
@Spandan_b @Jyotiraditya
Yesterday at the causerie there was a question that do moinas survive in Distilled Water?

We had not tried that earlier so we tried it today.

Procedure for Moina culture in Distilled Water
We took 10ml of Distilled water in a clean test tube and added 5 colourless moinas from another bottle and we fed them with 1:25 dilution i.e. 1 drop of milk and 25 drop of distilled water (Why?). As normally we add 1 drop of milk in 250ml of Water → 1:10 dilution in 25ml of water→ 1:25 dilution in 10ml of water.

We hypothesize that the moinas won’t survive for much time as their environment (distilled water) is free from nutrients and minerals and as we humans too require essential minerals like Calcium (for blood clotting), Phosphorus (healthy teeth and bones) and many more, they too require them.

3 Likes

Suppose I add pasteurized milk, killing all the bacteria, would mouna survive?

1 Like

It should survive why it should not we have bacteria in water as well do they can feed on the milk and the moina can feed on that bacteria and it will survive @GN

3 Likes

Why you think it won’t survive @drishtantmkawale don’t you think milk have bacterias in it and it has also the minerals essential for survival specially what you mentioned calcium what do you think of this now?

2 Likes

Yeah, now I understood that they will survive till milk is fed to them.
Actually I did not keep a replica of this setup.
So I will redesign this setup and will keep 4 tubes consisting of two tubes with milk and the other two without milk and will note the increase in their numbers + time of survival.

1 Like

CUBE Elphinstone College
Moina Group

Short term Objective: To have a pure Moina culture without rotifers or any other organisms

Long term objective: To study histone remodeling in moina via Haemoglobin protein expression through epigenetics

Immediate Objective: To culture moinas

Today, bottles D1, D2(replica), S1, M1(replica) were prepared by taking 250ml DC water in 4 bottles + 5 moinas in each + 1 drop in D1, D2 and 4 drops in S1 and M1.

Tomorrow’s expectations: ~5-10 moinas in all bottles

1 Like

CUBE HBCSE , MANKHURD.

MAINTAINANCE OF MOINA MODEL SYSTEM IN CUBE

As I said earlier too, I am trying to culture as many moinas as I can because there are extremely less moinas in HBCSE lab as they are given as a feed to hydras too everyday. So I didn’t wanted CUBE HBCSE to have no moinas and so I started culturing and maintaining them. I started my own cultures and at first I had no bottles so I started culturing them first in plastic cups ,then in beakers and when I finally got bottles I started culturing in them. I have been mantaining 3 tank cultures of moinas too and especially @drishtantmkawale and @Spandan_b helped me in doing so :yum::grin::star_struck:… We all 3 started from 3rd September,2019 with just 10 moinas and below I’ll be posting finally the approx total count of moinas yesterday.
As @GN dream, to have a million moinas our lab has already started the process of achieving it :star_struck:

Made
2 cup cultures :heart_eyes:
3 beaker cultures​:heart_eyes::heart_eyes:
6 bottle cultures​:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:
3 tank cultures :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:
All cultures except tank cultures are labeled as C1, C2, C3…and so on. I am sending the pics as well as the video of each culture.

C1 :-

C2 :-

C3 :-

C4

C5

C6

C7

C8

C9

C10

These are all our cultures (mine and @drishtantmkawale)
We started to maintain a little book from 5-9-19 and these are the daily reports .

At present,in total excluding tank moinas ,all these cultures mentioned above are having approximately 400 moinas on 9-9-19 from just 10 moinas on 3-9-19 (only in 6 days from 10 to 400).

MOINA MACROCOPA IS ROCKING IN HBCSE :heart_eyes::heart:
Thanks @drishtantmkawale @Spandan_b for collaborating and especially @Arunan @GN and @jaikishan for giving this chance :heart_eyes::grin:

6 Likes

@Sjuday2527 it’s great news congratulations for culturing moina successfully
Videos in above post c1,c2,c3,c4,c5 I observed movement of worms in the culture so just check what it is and what feed you are providing moina

3 Likes

@Siddhesh We are feeding milk to moina (1 drop for normoxic condition &6 drops for hypoxic condition)

2 Likes