Moina Group Discussion

So, according to you, what are the lactobacilli colony characteristics?

1 Like

@drishtantmkawale Please state your immediate term, short term and long term objectives?
How are we planning to achieve those in moina work?
Are you also planning to identify some bacteria produced in moina cultures? Please state the reasons behind it, and how will you be proceeding to do it?

1 Like

Ok so even if the colony is producing any waste still it’s so less as compared to the milk we are putting in the bottle cultures. Don’t you think this would help us to save moina cultures for much longer period of time?

1 Like

Lactobacilli colonial morphology can vary from small to medium gray colonies that usually exhibit alpha hemolysis on blood agar. Lactobacilli grow on a variety of other media including MRS (Man, Rogosa, and Sharpe) agar where they appear as white, usually mucoid colonies.

2 Likes

I don’t know the first thing about culturing bacteria so if what you say is the case then that would be great for our cultures.

@Sjuday2527 I didn’t got any input from you on this one. I would love to know what do you think about it?

1 Like

So let’s plan a design and work on it … In collaboration with @drishtantmkawale

2 Likes

Well , apologize me as I forgot to post it …
As every day I was collecting moinas from bottles for feeding Hydras. As to give a wash to the moinas collected in a plastic cup I had put DC water from a blue colour bucket. And suddenly what I observed was in less than a minute all the moinas which I collected in the plastic cup died which were all alive just a minute back…I was completely amazed :fearful:

So now after @pratittodkar stating about the blue light, now I got to know that the moinas which I assumed to be dead were alive but paralyzed.

But my question is why ??? How is change in color of light bringing such a drastic and such an extremely quick change ? How does paralysis occur ? A great topic to discuss on … @pratittodkar @drishtantmkawale please pitch in. …your inputs too will help such topics interesting and clarifying.

2 Likes

I should clarify that I am just hypothesizing that it may be the case though the above reference is from a paper and is completely legit but we should do a test and see how much time does it require to Moina get paralyzed. The paper dosen’t say anything about the time required.

Ya we should do it. Most probably on next Monday tell me how early should I be there so that we can get maximum time for discussing the matter and perhaps doing something in that direction. This Monday I came late and @Sjuday2527 had to leave by then so I don’t want that to happen next monday again. If I am early I can stay there until evening 6 or 7 and hence I can get more time.

That was a great observation!! :wink: @Sjuday2527

So, I searched on Google for ‘effect of light on Daphnia’ and there were many assays performed with different light intensities on daphnia and all have almost the same result!!

Either the heartbeat is increasing or decreasing.
They’ve used Red, Blue and White lights.
I’m dropping down some of the links…
Do look out.

I have the procedure for this assay, if required, I’ll attach it later…

1_93.pdf (1.0 MB)
Motion control of Daphnia by Blue LED light, Tokyo Denki University, Japan

J2217.pdf (13.9 KB)
Can light Control heart rate? By Harsha Thangavijayan - California state Science fair… Seems Indian origin though :smile:

I think these articles will provide us starter for our design… which we should do at the earliest…!!

What say? @Sjuday2527 @pratittodkar

2 Likes

Greaatttt @drishtantmkawale this is why I told and mentioned you both because together we can solve many questions. Just from a single question of how to culture moina in the start , now we have reached at a level where we are talking about the different tests to be performed to check water quality and detect and measure different chemical compounds, checking effects of different wavelengths of light on moina , checking whether it can survive in distilled and rain water or not and seriously many many more things, complicated things like kinetics of moina growth and using colormiter without any high-tech instrumentaion on our phone itself… Amazing work by u both @drishtantmkawale and @pratittodkar learned literally a lotttt because of you all…thanks buddies :heart::heart_eyes::star_struck:

3 Likes

Can we measure the heartbeat of moina in our lab ? If yes then we too can perform effects of different wavelengths of lights and check their effects on moina.

3 Likes

By this we can also know how does paralysis occur in moina ? And can this be reversed too…

3 Likes

Let’s see whether we are able to manage time or not.

2 Likes

Yes. Grab a video and use ffmpeg or opencv or similar software to count the beats. Some apps can slow down the video. So it should be possible to count with a little arithmetic.

3 Likes

Ohhh great @jtd sir :yum: so yes we can perform this experiment and can check the effect of different lights on moina . :star_struck: Let’s design it…

3 Likes

To prove the observation timming is very essential because if they were actually paralyzed then that effect must have been very quick almost instantaneously so we need to keep in mind if that’s not the case then it must not be paralysis.

@jtd Sir are you talking about some kind of recognition software since you mentioned Opencv or something different? And Moina are very small so are you talking about taking a video with microscope or something else? Please clarify.

Yes, we can measure the heartbeat of moinas and we’ll try that for sure.

1 Like