Scientific, Creative and Amazing Journey of CUBE 👸

Entered a new journey called CUBE in the year 2017. During Christmas workshop on 24th December, I came to CUBE lab.
My friends from my college had joined the fruit fly group…seeing them even I joined that group. From there started my journey along with my fruit flies…:smile:
Had a great experience during that Christmas workshop along with other fruit fly colleagues. I thought that the workshop was during Christmas…end of the year. So I had a break from CUBE the whole year till December 2018.
Again back to CUBE was a great experience able to learn a lot of things never thought of!!
3 days well spent with the CUBists of different parts of India in the month of January 2019…
Got to have friendship with many cubists of Kerala, Ranchi…
Wasn’t much active all these time in CUBE as I was a bit difficult to get along in a new environment…also being a shy…:hushed:

Summer Workshop in April 2019 changed me. Got along with many cubists…students from different colleges came…started to discuss, question, answer and learn…
Till this time I was just belonging to fruit fly religion. :wink: …but then got to know what Nematodes, earthworms, hydra, moina, cardamine, zebra fish are…
Unlearning some concepts…learning to say I don’t know when we don’t know a thing…questioning certain things without blindly believing…how to study…etc were the main aspects which I got to know.
“There is nothing wrong in saying ‘I don’t know’.”
Whatever we learn here is unforgettable…The reason behind this is that there is no one to judge you…open in doing mistakes…correcting and helping out each other…Everyone together building up concepts…developing topics…:ok_hand:
Goof ups was the thing we did as fruit flies and researchers this whole workshop…doing mistakes is also a part of science and research…!!! Amazing na!!!

Coming to CUBE lab was like going to a second home…getting to meet and be the whole day with friends who are like a family now…
Most importantly…knowing and being with Arunan sir and other staff members was a great experience…great souls to be met…:smirk:

After a long vacation well spent in CUBE…and now in colleges…really missing everyone and hands on experiences of CUBE…

3 Likes

@Lydia Great summary of CUBE experience and how it helped to change culture of education…:+1:

1 Like

What we see in our education platforms like in our colleges and schools is that…teachers are in a hurry to finish up the portion without knowing whether the children or the students understand the concepts or not…
I would take my own example for this…
Till 10th or 12th… just for writing our board exams I would study and then never remember what was taught…
After writing exams…its like not required anymore…so no need to remember…!!
But then what should have been done is that…why are we studying a particular topic…what are it’s applications…All is necessary to be explained…
Students should try to build up their skills and topics as well as knowledge on certain topics on their own…
Recently…Prof. Anil Sadgopal Sir gave a talk regarding education system and everything related…practicals are just performed in a hurry…explanations are given in such a way as much as is required for u to write in the exam…that’s all…!!
Applications and techniques should be taught as well as hands on experience like how we have in our CUBE lab is required…

What we do and learn in CUBE is not just biology…
We are connecting physics, chemistry, mathematics, technology…
In the case of earthworms…how molarity is calculated…calculations where math is included, molarity molality where chemistry is included…as well as preparation of different solutions…
Biology or science includes evolution, epigenetics, regeneration…basic topics of osmosis, diffusion, nerve cord, olfactory sensing, reflex action etc…
Physics where light spectrum, wavelength etc…

So this is how we educate ourselves here in the lab with no one to teach us but learning by ourselves using different sources of information like internet…
Whatever Internet says…everything is not believable…so how do we refer to sites which are reliable?? This was another area where we got to know more…knowing where the site is from, who has written the paper, like the author then in which journal is it published and in which year etc are all important to be known before we rely on it…

I learned to operate a stereo and dissection microscope when I came to CUBE…This is where technology comes in…

9 Likes