Spectacles for the deaf using Arduino

Spectacles for the deaf using Arduino

Aim: The basic aim is to create a kind of SMART Spectacles for the deaf that will convert speech to text and display it for them to read.

Currently I am working on a project to make spectacles for the deaf. The following are the components I will be using.

1. Arduino
  2. A sound detection module sensor
  3. SIM800L GSM/GPRS Module
  4. OLED Display for Arduino

The plan for my project currently is the following:

1. Record sound and take the output in Analog.
  2. Send that output to a free website that I will create to convert it into text using the GSM/GPRS module which will provide access to the internet.
  3. Send the text back to Arduino.
  4. Display the text on the OLED Display for the Arduino which will be mounted on the spectacles.

In addition to above to take full advantage of the GSM/GPRS Module I am thinking about implementing calling and messaging facility too in the spectacles.

I would like to know what the community here at STEMGames think about it and what changes do they suggest to make this a success. I am kind of newbie to a project of this scale and scope so some of my points above might seem crazy so I welcome any suggestions and points you have to say on this.

1 Like

Too slow to stream speech. You will require a 4G or 3G module.
http://kaldi-asr.org/doc/dependencies.html

1 Like

I would research myself on using a 4g module but do you have any suggestions as in which one should I buy? How much increase in budget for the project I must expect?

It’s a great idea.

However, what will the weight of the digital hardware be, the processor module and the OLED display? Locating this on the spectacle arm will be a critical consideration, as heavy spectacles quickly become very tiring to wear.

Second, instead of the OLED display, perhaps a projector that will display the text in reflection off the spectacle might work better, and avoid both the weight and the cantilever needed for a display, and also be much more discreet in appearance. If the projectors are light enough, the text could be cast on both spectacles, and deliver a more readable 3D print.

Third, as an alternative, or an addition, a vibrator on the spectacle arm that might directly be detected by the skullbone would help a deaf person who is also visually impaired. This could offer both Morse and TapToTalk as haptic codes.

For such persons, there is a different possibility that can be implemented, a mouth pad, to be held on the tongue. This could provide haptic sensations in Braille. Work on such pads was conducted by NCBS about 15 years back, and materials have improved a lot since then. Braille is presently preferred in India, as it is part of the curriculum, where Morse is not.