Moina Group Discussion

CUBE Elphinstone College
Moina Group

Short term Objective: To have a pure Moina culture without rotifers or any other organisms (Monoxenic culture)

Long term objective: To study histone remodeling in moina via Haemoglobin protein expression through epigenetics

Immediate Objective: To culture moinas

On 9 September 2019, bottles D1, D2(replica), S1, M1(replica) were prepared by taking 250ml DC water in 4 bottles + 5 moinas in each + 1 drop in D1, D2 and 4 drops in S1 and M1.

Today’s observations:
D1 ~ 10 moinas
D2 ~ 30-40 moinas
M1 ~ 10 moinas
S1 ~ 60 moinas

Tomorrow’s expectations:
D1 ~ 15 moinas
D2 ~ 50 moinas
M1 ~ 20 moinas
S1 ~ 70-80 moinas

These bottles are kept in our college lab.

For tomorrow, we are planning to change the water of these cultures and will provide the same conditions as earlier.
The existing water would-be checked for rotifer growth i.e. we are going to look for clumps if any…

The moinas would be transferred to the beaker, new DC water would be added in the bottle (the bottle would be washed) and then moinas would be transferred by dropper.

2 Likes

@Looking forward to kinetics of moina reproduction in this tank culture…

CUBE Elphinstone College
Moina Group

Short term Objective: To have a Monoxenic culture of Moinas

Long term objective: To study histone remodelling in Moina via Haemoglobin protein expression through epigenetics.

Immediate Objective: To culture moinas

On 9 September 2019, bottles D1, D2(replica), S1, M1(replica) were prepared by taking 250ml DC water in 4 bottles + 5 moinas in each + 1 drop-in D1, D2 and 4 drops in S1 and M1 and on 13 September 2019
Bottles S13 and S2 were prepared with the same protocol as above by adding 250ml DC Water + 10 Moinas + 1 drop of milk in each.

Today’s observations:
D1 ~ 20 moinas
D2 ~ 30-40 moinas
M1 ~ 80-100 moinas
S1 ~ 120 moinas
S13 ~ 60 moinas
S2 ~ 70 moinas
6L Tank Culture ~ 250 moinas

Monday’s expectations:
D1 ~ 20 moinas
D2 ~ 70 moinas
M1 ~ 30 moinas
S1 ~ 80 moinas
S13 ~ 70 moinas
S2 ~ 70 moinas
6L Tank Culture ~ 300+ moinas

These bottles and tank are kept in our college lab

1 Like

CUBE Elphinstone
Moina Group

This is the Moina Growth Kinetics from 9 September 2019 to 19 September 2019.

I think when there is an increase in the Moina count (crowding) and when we feed the moinas, the condition for them becomes stress condition i.e. crowding + number of organisms through milk increase because of which the moinas have to compete for oxygen so their number decreases. I have observed this in my previous cultures but data is not available for them

2 Likes

Where will moina number decrease first in bottles or tanks?

In the bottles first. As the surface area in the tank is more, the moinas can wander everywhere, also the ammonia levels will also be less in the 6L tank culture as compared to 250ml bottle culture.
As @pratittodkar gave the reference, excess of ammonia can result in the death of the crustaceans.

2 Likes

But why would it be less as Moina numbers are higher why there won’t be higher number of ammonifying bacteria?

2 Likes

Good question!
But, in my case I’m not feeding the moinas in the tank culture according to the protocol.
Protocol is 1 drop of milk in 250ml DC water for normoxic condition.
I’m feeding the tank culture with 10 drops of milk which should have been 24 drops of milk according to the protocol!

1 Like

What if the protocol isn’t right and the Moinas actually thrive better in 1 drop/liter instead of 1 drop/250 ml? Are there any experiments done regarding this?

2 Likes

Yeah, it is a possibility as here too the ammonifying bacteria would be less (more water) and would be consumed by the moinas.

2 Likes

Well, according to the normal protocol we feed 1drop of milk in 250ml of DC water but in tank cultures I used to feed 5drops of milk in 5liters of dc water which means 1drop of milk in 1 litre of water…after observing the results I found that I was able to get more moinas in tanks as compared to bottle cultures where one drop milk was added to 250ml water.

2 Likes

You should do 1 drop/ liter in bottles because as you said the surface area for dissolving oxygen must also have played a role.

1 Like

@pratittodkar looking forward to your todays plan of work with moina model…

2 Likes

How are you sure there is amonifying bacteria in your cultures?
How are you sure there is ammonia?
Why not design an experiment to prove it?

Eagerly looking forward to your todays plan of work @drishtantmkawale

2 Likes

Well first today I will try to take a look at the bottle in which the moina died.
I was feeding milk which was heated so I think that must have caused them to die due to loss of food. I will also need to discuss and find out about the Nitrates and nitrite test and check about colorimeter using mobile. As suggested by @jtd

2 Likes

We feed milk to the moinas.
This milk contains ammonifying bacterias like Pseudomonas, Bacillus, Clostridium, Streptomyces.

These pictures below from Google show the bacterias present in the milk.

And this article shows the ammonifying bacteria.

We don’t know ammonia is present in what amount…
So, we @Sjuday2527 @pratittodkar are trying to design an experiment to show the presence of ammonia in our cultures…

3 Likes

Why not look for ammonifying bacteria also? How will you detect them from your samples?
@drishtantmkawale

1 Like

Is it possible that we can culture a specific breed of Bacteria that Moina can consume. Feeding them bacteria without the oils and fats from milk which later accumulate overtime as waste, can tremendously increase the quality of our cultures and there lifespan.

3 Likes

Yes buddy…what if we streak a loopful of milk on a milk agar or simply on a nutrient agar and get colonies of lactobacilli. Once we get colonies we can make a suspension of it and that we can try feeding the moinas. What say about this ?

4 Likes

Yeah… we can try that.
But how are you sure that you will get colonies of lactobacilli only?

2 Likes